A Spicy Thai Curry Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Here is a spicy butternut squash soup with curry to warm you up over the colder months. It’s based on combining a traditional Thai recipe for yellow curry with the richness of coconut milk and butternut squash for a great tasting soup full of nutrition.
This is what you’ll need to make it up for yourself.
Ingredients for 4
- 1 large butternut squash.
- 2 bell peppers (preferably an orange and red bell pepper as these contain more antioxidant carotenoids).
- 6 spring onions.
- 1 tablespoon of traditional Thai fermented fish sauce.
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin organic coconut oil.
- 1-2 teaspoons of fresh lime juice.
Spicy Thai Curry Ingredients
- 1-3 dried red chilies (soak these in water for 10 minutes before pounding up in a mortar and pestle).
- 1 tablespoon of chopped shallots.
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric.
- 1 tablespoon of chopped lemongrass.
- 2-3 cloves of crushed garlic.
- 2 teaspoons of chopped ginger.
- 1 teaspoon of yellow curry powder.
- 1/4 teaspoon of roasted coriander seeds.
- 1/4 teaspoon of roasted cumin seeds.
How to Make Thai Yellow Curry Paste
Add all the rest of the ingredients to the mortar and twist and pound with the pestle until they are all mixed up into a paste-like consistency. This can be a bit of a workout for your wrist and take a few minutes.
If you’re in a rush, then a pre-made traditional yellow curry paste can be a good option. That said, the taste difference with a yellow curry paste made from fresh ingredients is really worth trying at least once.
Thai Butternut Squash Soup Method
- Start off by steaming your squash in a steamer saucepan in strips as described in How to Cook Butternut Squash.
- After ten minutes of steaming, add the bell pepper with the seeds removed and cut in half. Steam them both for a further two minutes.
- Chop up the spring onions and lightly fry them on a low heat in the coconut oil in a pan, stirring occasionally. Add the Thai yellow curry paste and stir it around for a minute to mix with the spring onions.
- Next pour in the coconut milk, lime juice and fish sauce. Stir everything together well and cover until lightly simmering then turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, remove the bell pepper and butternut squash from the steamer straight into your blender. Also add half a cup of the hot water from your steamer saucepan.
- Lastly, pour the spicy curry coconut milk mixture directly into your blender, put the lid on and blend it all up on high until it’s smooth. Serve immediately.
It’s a good idea to serve this spicy butternut soup with a couple of wedges of lime for anyone who likes their soup a little less spicy than your own tastes. Just an extra squeeze of fresh lime juice mixed into this soup will really dampen down the heat of the chili if needed.
So there’s my Thai butternut soup. It tastes great and is full of important nutrition. I hope you enjoy it and the super healthy butternut squash soup recipe above as much as I do.
Please leave a comment on what you think if you make it up either of these healthy butternut soup recipes for yourself and share them with your friends.
This article may contain affiliate links to products I recommend. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.