Flaxseed Oil for Dry Skin
You can use flax oil for dry skin in two different ways and this page will show how it can quickly help to improve your facial skin tone.
The first is by applying flaxseed oil to your face directly as an natural moisturizer.
Not only does the very high omega-3 content in the oil have an anti-inflammatory effect, it also helps normalize skin lipids and seal in moisture to improve your complexion.
Secondly, taking a teaspoon of flax oil with breakfast or lunch and again with dinner daily is a great way to improve skin quality.
The omega-3 fatty acids found in flaxseeds are an essential component of epidermal and dermal cells and are necessary to maintain their structural integrity.
Dry and flaky or dull and blemished skin can often be the result of the deficiency of omega-3 in the diet.
It’s very common for people to comment on how much their skin improves once they start taking a high quality flax oil like this great tasting one I use regularly.
5 Tips for Improving Dry Skin
- As detailed in Improving Skin with Flaxseed Oil, take omega-3 rich flax oil twice a day, by the spoonful or high potency capsules. Also use it as an evening moisturizer before bed as I’ll explain ahead.
- Throw out inflammatory omega-6 processed vegetable oils, like corn, soy, cottonseed, safflower and many others, and replace them with heat stable avocado oil for healthy cooking or coconut oil.
- Limit processed foods as much as possible and use more healthy oily fish like wild salmon or sardines in your meals. Alternatively, supplement with high quality fish oil twice daily.
- Get a wide variety of colorful vegetables, fruits and leafy greens into your diet. There are many other nutrients such as vitamin A, C and E, selenium, zinc and many more that are vital for healthy skin. Intestinal health is also an rarely discussed secret to better skin.
- Perhaps most importantly, drink more water. Mild dehydration is a very common problem that many people are unaware of and the skin on your face, especially under the eyes, is one of the first parts of your body to suffer from it. So have a big glass of water with your flax oil just before a meal and see if in a week or two’s time you’re noticing a real difference in the mirror.
Flaxseed Oil for Your Face as an Evening Moisturizer
Used externally, flax oil is best applied as a topical treatment, directly to your face or other parts of the body as an evening moisturizer.
To do this, simply gently massage a small amount of the oil into still damp skin after washing your face before going to bed.
You may want to blot off any excess oil if you’re going straight to sleep, as it can show on pillowcases.
If you leave it on your face for at least quarter of an hour before going to bed it should be well enough absorbed for this to not be a problem.
Avocado Oil and Flax Oil Skin Treatment
An even better option can be to use flaxseed oil in combination with avocado oil.
Predominantly monounsaturated fatty acids, avocado oil as a moisturizer is extremely penetrative and has incredible hydrating properties for dry skin.
By first applying flaxseed oil to the face, and then immediately following with a small amount of avocado oil in the same area, you combine together on your skin an exceptionally hydrating evening moisturizer.
This healing oil combination can also help reduce problems with inflammation like dry skin, itching and irritated areas, acne and other blemishes and even serious skin complaints like eczema and psoriasis.
It is also helpful for reduce fine lines on your face. Since both avocado oil and flax oil are beneficial for reducing the visible signs of aging, combining them can have even more powerful results.
I know personally, since applying these two oils to my face after showering in the evening, my skin has never looked or felt better.
I hope using flaxseed oil for dry skin works well for you and please let me know if you have any questions about this or any of these other superfood skin treatments.
This article may contain affiliate links to products I've researched and recommend. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases at no cost to the consumer.